Engine / 2nd Engineer
084_NMC_SM (Click here for more information)
On behalf of Smit Lamnalco, we are looking for:
1. Position 2nd Engineer
2. Mission and Scope of duties
Shall provide safe reliable operation of the vessel’s engines, machinery and all other mechanical equipment.
Shall support the Chief Engineer by carrying out orders and / or instructions issued by the Chief Engineer and or Master when such orders and / or instructions are sound and within the accepted practices of good seamanship.
Must always inform the Chief Engineer whenever an operation may place any of the vessel’s machinery or other equipment at risk of damage.
3. Job Context
Ensure the vessel is safely operated in accordance with:
• STCW 1978 as amended
• MARPOL 73/78
• Flag State Regulations
• Class Regulations and Requirement
• The ISM and ISPS Code
• MLC 2006
• Instruct and encourage crew to work safely and lead by example.
• Inform Vessel Management of any deficiencies related to equipment, standards and procedures (SLIMS).
Ensure that the vessel operates efficiently and incident free.
4. Accountabilities and Responsibilities
The 2nd Engineer is accountable/responsible:
• That the vessel remains within compliance of the requirements of all applicable rules, laws, regulations, guidelines and practices of good seamanship at all times.
• To apply, follow and encourage SLIMS in the performance of all tasks, with particular emphasis on the protection of the environment and pollution prevention.
• To ensure that the SLIMS is rigorously maintained with particular emphasis on the correct use and application of PPE, safety equipment, Check-lists and all other safety precautions relating to job and task performance.
• To complete the SLIMS E-learning programme and MARAD training as per the crew training Matrix and implement the same on-board
• To ensure planned maintenance is executed as per MARAD (planned maintenance system on board).
• Issue appropriate clear written or verbal orders and instructions.
• Shall plan and supervise technical and engineering related operations including the corrective and preventative maintenance and inspection of the vessel’s equipment, machinery and associated plant in accordance with all safe working practices and with regard to the Master’s and chief engineers orders.
• Shall analyse and report any technical problems, making recommendations and assist with any corrective maintenance, temporary and permanent repairs.
• Shall maintain all technical department related logbooks, documentation and filing, including when necessary, the preparation of dry dock and other repair related reports.
• Shall monitor and participate, check and report as necessary, fuel and lubricating oil consumption, and maintain accountability through company approved methods as applicable.
• Ordering, loading, stowing as applicable all fuel and lubricants, vessel stores and supplies as and when necessary.
• Shall directly supervise and or responsibly delegate all required training and familiarisation of engine room personnel.
• Ensure that SPM buoy surface maintenance consisting of two weekly and monthly surface Planned Maintenance is executed (If applicable).
• General maintenance is executed on the main workboat, which is used during tanker operations for connecting the SPM moorings and to transfer crew to from SPM and on occasion to and from the tanker (If applicable).
• General maintenance is executed on the diving systems as per requirements (If applicable).
• Complete a handover report to his successor upon completion of tour of duty and or when change command is required.
5. Qualifications / Experience
• Certificate of Competency in accordance with STCW 78 (as amended) and or national regulations.
• Certificate of Medical Fitness in accordance with MLC 2006 requirements and or national regulations.
• A minimum experience of 2 years’ experience in same rank and on same type of vessel
• Must have completed Marlins English [minimum pass score 80%] examination and certificate must be available.
• Must have experience with similar engines within the Smit Lamnalco Fleet.
• Must have electrical knowledge and able to read electrical diagrams.
• Must show initiative and be self-reliant, analytical and demonstrate problem solving skills.
• Computer literate.
• Experienced working effectively in team environments
Follow the Link (apply now) and send us back the filled application form in editable format.
For additional information please contact us to firstname.lastname@example.org